- Named for the ghosty pale Northern Canadian bear, Ursus americanus kermodei, a species revered in Canadian Native oral tradition, the Spirit Bear jacket is an updated Grizzly type jacket made especially for our female clients. This jacket is exactly as functional and durable as our Wolverine model, its masculine counterpart.
Both now and in the past, few grizzly jackets have been made for women—perhaps none. We’ve never seen a vintage example. Today, as women make ever-greater strides toward true equality, it makes sense to us that these historically rugged garments would be updated to fit the variety of bodies that might need them.
The Spirit Bear is available here in Natural American Steerhide, with the Japanese red chambray liner. All other leather and liner combinations, as well as additional customization, are available for custom order.
Please note that there is significant variance in the colour of hair-on hides, and no two jackets will be exactly alike. Make sure to contact us if you’d like to make a request for a specific hair-on look.
This is a bespoke product, that requires additional measurements to be submitted by the customer. Once you submit your order, you can find the interactive instructions and order form right here.
For stock size orders, please consult the size chart here, and select "I am ordering a jacket in a stock size." on the order form.
Our online bespoke process has an extremely high success rate—please contact us if you have any questions or require guidance of any type.
- Reproduction 1940s main zipper.
- Classic Himel Bros. shawl collar.
- Waist adjusters with Japanese reproduction D-ring hardware.
- Horsehide panels accent cow fur hair-on hide, with a single large keystone-shaped fur back panel. Note that there is considerable variation of color within the fur, and this is not considered a flaw. Each jacket is unique.
- Guterman 100% cotton thread, 16/4 gauge, made at one of the last thread companies in New Bedford.
- Made in Toronto, Canada, by our team of master craftspeople and David Himel.
- We haven't made a video about the Spirit Bear yet, so please enjoy this segment we're especially proud of on the Imperial.